Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University students at the a Flag Parade

About ISSS

International Student & Scholar Services, ISSS, is a valuable resource to international students attending Embry-Riddle's Daytona Beach campus for all of your immigration questions and documents. Our staff is available to assist you with immigration advising and support, and we look forward to working with you during your time at Embry-Riddle. Our primary focus areas are:

  • ADVICE: Advise on immigration and other government regulations
  • SUPPORT: Organize orientation and continued assistance
  • PROGRAMMING: Offer opportunities for campus and community involvement
  • ADVOCACY: Represent and voice your interests, needs, and concerns

Services Provided:

  • I-20 requests
  • Employment authorizations (CPT, OPT, and STEM OPT)
  • Orientation and pre-arrival presentations
  • Travel signatures
  • Special programming for international students

Admitted & Deposited Students

You must be admitted to the university and paid a tuition deposit before you can request an I-20. Once you have paid the tuition deposit, click on the button below to initiate your request for travel documents.

Tips For International Students

Applying for a visa can take many weeks. Admitted students should begin this process as soon as they have paid their tuition deposit.

  1. Gather necessary documents including financial statements and/or scholarship letters.
  2. Request your I-20
  3. Wait to receive an Electronic I-20. This will be sent to your Embry-Riddle email.
  4. Apply for your official student visa.
  5. Pay I-901 SEVIS fee. This is required for all international students.
  6. Schedule your visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate closest to you.
  7. Prepare for your visa interview

Every person's situation is different, and each encounter with a consular officer will be different. Consular officers are people, after all, and they are under tremendous pressure to interview as many visa applicants as possible. These tips were compiled by members of NAFSA who advocate for international students at the national level.

Source: NAFSA

1. Ties to Home Country

If intending to travel with a non-immigrant visa, then you must prove to the consular officer that your "ties" to your home country are stronger than your reasons for staying in the United States. Ties could include family, job, and financial prospects.

2. English Be prepared to conduct the interview in English and not your native language. If you are coming to the U.S. solely to study English, then be prepared to explain how English will be useful for you in your home country.
3. Speak for Yourself Do not bring parents, family members, or friends to your interview. The consular officer wants to interviewyou. It sends the wrong message if you are asking others to speak for you.
4. Know the Program and How it Fits Your Career Plans Remember, you are traveling on a student visa, so you need to be able to show that you understand the program you are attending and explain why that particular program is important for your professional career goals.
5. Be Concise Visa interviews tend to be very quick - maybe only 2 or 3 minutes. First impressions are extremely important. Answer only the questions you are asked. Keep your answers short and to the point.
6. Supplemental Documentation Consular officers do not have time to read long letters or explanations. It should be very clear at a glance what the documents you bring to the interview each signify.
7. Not All Countries Are Equal Applicants from countries suffering economic problems or from countries where many students have remained in the U.S. as immigrants will have more difficulty convincing a consular officer to give them a non-immigrant visa.
8. Employment

Your main reason for coming to the U.S. should be to study, not work. Any opportunities that you get to work while you're in the U.S. for your studies are secondary and should not be considered as a primary reason for coming to the U.S.

If you are traveling with a spouse or child (F-2 dependent), remember that dependents are not allowed to work under any circumstance. Be prepared to answer questions about how they will spend their time. Studying part-time is an acceptable activity.

9. Dependents Remaining at Home If you have a spouse or children remaining in your home country while you are in the U.S., then you should be prepared to explain how they will support themselves. If the consular officer gets the impression that you are their primary source of income and will need to send money from the U.S., then you will almost certainly be denied a visa.
10. Maintain a Positive Attitude Do not try to argument with your interviewer. If you are denied, politely ask for a list of documents they suggest you could bring in order to overcome the refusal, and try to get the reason for the refusal in writing.

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University International Students

International Student Organization, or ISO, is dedicated to bringing together students from all over the world who come to Embry-Riddle’s Daytona Beach campus.

ISO organizes activities designed specifically for international students to socialize, mentor, and develop their professional skills.

There are no fees to join this organization and all students are welcome!

Connect with ISO >

Everything you need to know about living in the U.S.!

Bank accounts, mobile phone service, health insurance, where to eat, where to sleep, and how to make the most of your time in the United States. The International Student Guidebook has it all!

Explore the Guidebook now >

Working on Campus

Students studying on F-1 visa may be eligible to work on campus. You can search and apply for on-campus jobs through the Student Employment Office.

Visit Student Employment >

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT is an authorization to get off-campus training within the United States while studying on an F-1 visa. CPT must be an essential part of a student’s learning experience and must allow the student to apply knowledge and utilize skills they have gained in their academic program. CPT is usually taken as an internship or co-op.

Learn more about CPT >

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT is a period during which undergraduate and graduate students with F-1 status who have completed their degrees are permitted to work, volunteer, or take non-degree courses.

Learn more about OPT >

STEM OPT Extension

The STEM OPT extension is a 24-month period of temporary training that directly relates to an F-1 student's program of study in an approved STEM field. Eligible F-1 students with STEM degrees who finish their program of study and participate in an initial period of regular post-completion OPT (often for 12 months) have the option to apply for a STEM OPT extension. Students may not apply for STEM OPT extensions during the 60-day grace period following an initial period of regular post-completion OPT. 

Learn more about STEM extension >

If you must take a break from academics to return home and complete military service, there are a few steps you need to take before you leave the university and before you return.

Before you leave Embry-Riddle

You will need to officially withdraw from the university and terminate your active I-20. Forms are available to initiate both of these processes.

  1. Complete a University Withdrawal Form and take it to ERNIE Central in the Student Union.
  2. Complete a Leave of Absence Request through the ISSS portal.

Before you return to Embry-Riddle

Contact dbiss@erau.edu as soon as you know when you will be able to resume your Embry-Riddle studies. It may take several weeks to gather all of your required travel documents, so do not wait until the last minute.

Contact Us

International Student & Scholar Services

Walk-in Hours & Location

Tuesdays 2:00-4:00pm
Wednesdays 11:00am-1:00pm
Thursdays 1:00-3:00pm

Located in New Residence Hall 3, entrance across from Boundless