The ERLI Pathway Program allows international students to take English language courses while also taking courses that will count as credits toward their degree. It combines English language classes in ERLI with courses in the student's chosen major for students who otherwise have not met the English proficiency requirement for admission.
Students must be “provisionally accepted” to an academic program at ERAU to enroll in the Pathway Program. This means that the student meets all requirements for the academic program except the English language requirement.
The ERLI Pathway Program is for students who want to earn academic credit towards their undergraduate or graduate degree in a supported environment while improving their English and adapting to the U.S. academic system.
New students are eligible to enter the ERLI Pathway Program if they
- have an official score of 55-78 in TOEFL iBT, 85-100 in Duolingo, 5.5 in IELTS, or 162-168 in Cambridge, and
- have provisional admission to an ERAU academic program (undergraduate or graduate) upon completion of the language program.
Students who are currently enrolled in ERLI classes are eligible to enter the Pathway Program if they
- have studied in ERLI the previous semester (full or mid-term), and
- are in good academic standing, i.e. GPA of 2.0 or higher, and
- have provisional admission to an ERAU academic program (undergraduate or graduate) upon completion of the language program, and
- place in Level 4 or higher in all ERLI classes for Pathway Semester 1.
Pathway students pay ERLI tuition rates for ERLI classes. Students pay ERAU tuition rates for ERAU classes. ERAU tuition rates will vary depending on whether the student takes undergraduate or graduate-level courses.
Pathway students must pay mandatory fees as applicable.
Pathway students who live on campus must pay room and board at the current university rates.
For more on payment deadlines, how to submit payments, and payment plan options, visit the Student Financial Services Office.
How to Apply for the Pathway Program
- Apply to an ERAU academic undergraduate or graduate program by clicking the orange "Apply Today" button below. Please note that academic requirements for each program may differ. Contact the admissions advisors listed below if you have questions about a specific degree program.
- After you submit an ERAU application, submit an interest form to notify ERLI of your interest in joining the Pathway Program.
- Someone from ERLI will contact you via email to guide you through the next steps.
|Undergraduate degree programs
|Graduate degree programs
|Language Institute (ERLI)
Course of Study
The ERLI Pathway Program is two semesters:
- Semester 1 (Fall or Spring only): Students take 4 ERLI classes and 1 academic class
- Semester 2: Students take 3 ERLI classes and 2 academic classes
Academic advisors will help determine which English and academic classes are recommended for each student based on strengths and weaknesses in their reading, writing, listening and speaking skills.
Students will be placed in Semester 1 or 2 depending on their official test scores and the ERLI Placement Test results. Students may be eligible for full academic study after successfully completing one semester of the Pathway Program.
Transitioning to Academic Study
There are two ways for Pathway students to earn an ERLI recommendation for academic study at Embry-Riddle.
Students taking the highest level of ERLI classes need to complete all ERLI classes with a 'C' or better, complete all undergraduate academic classes with a 'C' or better and complete all graduate academic classes with a 'B' or better.
Students who are not enrolled in the highest level of ERLI classes must meet all criteria listed below to earn an ERLI recommendation for academic study:
- Complete all ERLI classes with a 'C' or better,
- Complete all undergraduate academic classes with a 'C' or better and complete all graduate academic classes with a 'B' or better, and
- Obtain a minimum score from one of the accepted English proficiency tests